14 / 12 / 2015

Sauze update 14/12/15

The start of the week sees a return to colder temperatures, certainly during the evening and early morning. This has meant that the cannons are firing again in Sauze d’Oulx and across the ViaLattea.

We are still in the grips of the high pressure which brings with it mild stable conditions. Weather models do show though that there are some weather fronts building out in the Atlantic which should hopefully bring some more unsettled weather towards the end of the week and into next. Some forecast predict that these fronts may well bring a little snow.

The long term forecast is uncertain. Many weather models predict that we should return to more unsettled weather around Christmas which hopefully means snow. It really is too far off though to say with any certainty.

We are not alone in experiencing this mild start to the season. Many resorts on the southern side of the Alps are suffering a similar fate. Even resorts on the north west side that benefited from the snow storms of late November have snow depths well below the levels they should be.

Skiing in Sauze remains limited this week to the beginners slope up in Sportinia and also the red intermediate slope that brings you down from Sportinia back into town. The cannons have been firing on the slopes above Sportinia so it would appear that they are preparing more runs to open.

Because of the limited skiing, ski pass prices have been reduced to €12 for a day ticket. That will remain the same for this week. After that it really depends on how many more runs open.

This weekend coming is the real start of the season with many holiday makers coming out for Christmas. ViaLattea are well aware of this and I’m positive that we’ll see more runs opening at the weekend. I cannot say what will be open, or how much as we’ll only know nearer the the time.

I appreciate that many of you will be concerned about the conditions but there isn’t anymore information I can give at the moment. As soon as I have the official word from ViaLattea regarding more slopes opening, and lift pass prices, I will let you all know. Keep praying to the snow Gods, they will answers us eventually!